Sunday, January 13, 2008

Why We Write

I like this essay on "Why We Write" - written by Damon Lindelof of LOST fame.

The first sentence alone is gold:

I was listening to the news on NPR the other day and two things occurred to me. First, only assholes feel the constant need to tell you they listen to NPR (does anyone ever say, “So I was watching the CW last night…”?) and I guess that makes me an asshole.


I will totally admit to doing that. Dropping the NPR modifer. I'm not just telling you I was listening to "the radio" - I'm trying to get you to take me seriously. It wasn't Josh Tesh waxing on about the differences between men and women (because I'm pretty sure he has a radio program where he does this). Or the latest sexual misinformation on Loveline. We're talking National Public Radio here folks.

Actually, the entire website/blog is brilliant. I think writers love to write about why they love to write. And if you're a writer (and by that I mean in any way, shape or form - even on a blog) you know what I mean. In fact, you've probably written about writing.

When I haven't blogged in awhile, my first instinct is to write about the fact that I haven't blogged in awhile. I want to convey to my reader the motivations behind it all. Why do I write? Why don't I write? Why do I fear writing at times? Do I want to be read?

The process is fascinating to me. At the same time - the motivations are liquid and illusive. They're both incredibly personal and universal.

No comments:

Site Meter