Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Signs of Fall

I saw my first leaf fall a few weeks ago. But I ignored it. Last week was still lovely.

But today I'm wearing a sweater for the third day in a row.

I almost closed my bedroom window this morning. As I've said before, I open it sometime in May and leave it open for the entire summer.

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale is being featured at Whole Foods today.

I'm enjoying an amazing Blackberry Cider. (Not hard cider, silly)

And on that note, a poem I wrote a few years ago about the fall...

Autumn

With a harsh wind, but a gentle rustle, Autumn permits us to recoil into a courtship with comfort. She paints warm colors to help us transition into the death of winter. She allows us to build fires and turn the thermostat up a few notches. She is the school teacher in a denim jumper over a rainbow-striped shirt. She wears wool knee socks and sweater vests with atrocious patterns. She allows us to go to bed early and wear over-sized fleece sweats. She encourages us to wrap up in a down blanket and read a good book, or watch bad television. She is gracious as she dries the leaves and she is sweet in her thunderstorms. She raises our necklines, and layers us in casseroles and pot roasts and stew. She blows the whistle at recess, while we kick mud. She bakes brownies and chocolate chip cookies and apple crisp.


-Noelle, October 1, 2005

No comments:

Site Meter